A fellow parent recently asked me to recommend educational video games for an eight year-old, saying "her own research is being dictated by North Korean programmers as far as I can tell."
I asked if he meant educational as in "this is what i think would have developed my brain most at 8", or educational as in "pretty clearly is a version of school"? He said the former.
Here is my rough list. It's iPhone-centric, but many of these are available on Android too:
- Music: iPhone: Beatwave, Keezy Drummer, Clapping Music
- Coding: iPad: Cargo-bot, Code Monkey, Lightbot; web: Scratch, Code.org, CodeHS, Lightbot
- Video creation: iPhone/iPad: iMove, My Create
- Art creation: iPad: Tayasui Sketches School
- Interactive art: iPad: Plug & Play, Metamorphobet; iPhone: Device 6
- Social games: iPhone: Bounden, Heads Up
- Physics and puzzles: iPhone/iPad: Build a bridge!, Monument Valley, Blackbox, I Love Hue, Time Turner
- Math: iPhone/iPad: Dragonbox, Splash Math