I wondered right away, how would this list have changed? And stopped myself from looking at the old list so as not to bias my present self!
Here are the current 10 albums I would take to a desert island. Note that these are the ones I would take, not the ones I recommend most to others! That means they're biased towards ones that evoke a time in my personal life, and which I could keep listening to forever, as opposed to albums I appreciate having listened to in the past. There are many great albums which fail the test of whether I could listen to them 100 more times without slitting my wrists!
For each album I considered, I tried to imagine no one else had ever heard of it, to reduce my bias towards the familiar. As the saying goes, no one ever got fired for buying IBM. No one ever got laughed at for having an obscure record other people couldn't judge on their lists, either.
So go ahead and laugh at Indigo Girls and Buffalo Tom being on my list!
Here they are, numbered for clarity but in no particular order:
- Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
- Joni Mitchell: Blue
- Roger Waters: Amused to Death
- Outkast: ATLiens
- Nirvana: Nevermind
- Patti Smith: Horses
- Sonic Youth: Daydream Nation
- Indigo Girls: Rites of Passage
- Buffalo Tom: Big Red Letter Day
- Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks
- Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced?
- Arcade Fire: Neon Bible
- Jay-Z and the Roots Unplugged
- Aretha Franklin: Sparkle
- Handsome Boy Modeling School: So, How's Your Girl?
- Dujeous?: City Limits
- Orchestra Baobob: Specialist in All Styles
- Bjork: Vespertine
- Erykah Badu: Mama's Gun
- Amadou and Miriam: Dimanche a Bamako